Your post should be three paragraphs.
For the first paragraph of your initial post select one of the three scenarios below. Describe in detail how you would use your knowledge of emotional intelligence to effectively reach a positive outcome for all parties concerned.
- One of your direct subordinates comes to you visibly shaken and tells you that a male coworker yelled at her and threatened to hit her because she did not have a report completed on time. She states that the male coworker has been stressed recently and he has been verbally abusive to several other employees.
- Your boss, the department manager, is widely disliked by his staff because of his abrupt and insensitive management style. He barks directives without explanation, reasoning, or guidance, causing his employees to feel fearful, underappreciated, and disrespected. Since you work closely with him, your colleagues have approached you and asked you to communicate their concerns to him.
- The vice president of your division calls you into her office to give you the great news; you have been promoted to a senior management post overseeing a new staff of 125 people. While this is a dream come true for you, you are also feeling anxious, fearful, and insecure. The vice president notices your emotions.
For the second paragraph of your post, select any one of the following bullet points and address all elements of your chosen bullet point. Select a different bullet point section than what your classmates have already posted so that we can engage several discussions on relevant topics. If all of the bullet points have been addressed, then you may begin to re-use the bullet points with the expectation that varied responses continue.
- As organizations continue to adopt team-based work environments, team leaders find themselves in somewhat counterintuitive roles, expected to lead and also foster collaboration and equal participation among team members.
Describe either the best or worst team experience you have had. What were the characteristics and mood of the team? What were the team’s strengths and weaknesses? Did the team leader guide, motivate, and support the efforts of the group? If so, how did the team leader demonstrate these efforts? How would you have led the team differently?
- Mapes (2000) stated “The majority of ‘leaders’ remain blind to the reason why their people resist change. It’s FEAR. Everyone is frightened of making a mistake . . . their fear makes them tense, worried about upsetting the status quo, incurring the wrath of senior management, and pressured into playing it safe” (p. 9). “Before leaders can tackle the textbook elements of leadership, they must learn to break through fear-based thinking and recognize that the role of leadership is about continuous learning, relationships and constant self-renewal” (p. 9).
What comparisons can you make regarding fearless leadership and emotional intelligence? How does the author’s description of fearless leadership mimic the definition of resonant leadership?
Mapes, J. (2000). Fearless Leadership. Executive Excellence, 17(12).
- Life balance has become a popular theme in recent culture. Today, boundaries between work and personal life have become blurred. What used to be a normal 40-hour work-week has, in many cases, expanded to more than 50 hours, leaving workers feeling stressed, overworked, and out of balance.
Perhaps you have children, aging parents, or other personal or family issues that require a significant amount of your time and attention. How do these factors affect your life, productivity, and attitude toward work? What does life balance mean to you? Are you living a balanced life? Why or why not? How does living a balanced life affect the role of a leader? How can the leader create balance within an organization? What can you do to enhance the balance in your own life?
- Practicing leadership with emotional intelligence can create positive, sustainable relationships and lay the foundation for long-term success.
Propose your continuing action plan for learning to lead with emotional intelligence. What key emotional intelligence quotient (EQ) factors will you focus on for your personal and professional development? What improvements have you noticed in your own performance and professional relationships since the beginning of this course? Have you received any feedback from your supervisors or peers? How did this feedback affect you? As you reflect on your journey in this course, cite examples wherever possible. Defend your perspectives.
The final paragraph (three or four sentences) of your initial post should summarize the one or two key points that you are making in your initial response.
Justify your answers using examples and reasoning. Comment on the postings of at least two peers.