D 205, Fall 2019 Stretch Application 1
due on September 15
Intention: Actively apply HD205 course concepts to your life. Increase awareness of how you are incorporating the communication and life skill materials.
Mechanism: Choose 1 of the 3 stretches listed below to actively engage in and reflect upon.
Part 1 — Stretches: Each stretch is designed to help bring course content to life.
1. Simply Be: Go outside into a large open area taking only a journal and a writing instrument. Leave all electronics, food and other tempting distractions at home. Anchor yourself in a 4 ft. x 4 ft. square area and spend 20 minutes there alone. Be sure to dress appropriately for the weather. Spend time journaling about what you experience during that time. Examples: Where does your focus go? Is it challenging to just “be” for an extended period of time? Why or why not? What are you distracted by? Are you lost in your thoughts or are you present with what is happening around you? In the moments of connection, can you describe how it feels to be in touch with the here and now.
2. Just Do It!: Choose a chore (not homework) you’ve been putting off for a while. Set aside 20 minutes to begin accomplishing the task. It could be laundry, paying bills, making a budget, cleaning your room, washing the dishes or anything else that you have been procrastinating. During the 20 minutes, focus completely on the experience. Pay attention to what you are doing and how you are doing it. Practice being fully present with the activity. Eliminate outside distractions including electronic devices and cellphones by voluntarily turning them off for the duration of this task. After 20 minutes, feel free either to stop or to continue. Do this for twenty minutes every day, until your task is completed.
3. Walking in Awareness: Take a 20 minute silent walk around campus. Challenge yourself to practice present moment connection during the entire walk. Tune into your senses of hearing, sight, taste, touch and smell as you move through the world. Turn off all electronic devices like your iPod and cell phone during this exercise. Pay attention to subtle details like the sensation of air on your cheeks, the experience of your foot meeting the earth or sun light striking a particular tree. Slow down and pay attention. This is not a walk to get somewhere (i.e. to class or the library!) but rather a journey of awareness and conscious presence.
Part 2 – Stretch Reflection: After engaging in any stretch, it is important to reflect on the experience to assess its impact and increase personal awareness. Please spend time reflecting on the questions below and answer each of the following prompts. A recommendation is that the length of your responses should be approximately 500 – 600 words in length, total. For the entire thing; not per prompt.
Prompts: 1. What stretch did you do and what did you experience while engaging in it?
2. Describe your understanding of the mindfulness principle of present moment connection and explain how it relates to your stretch experience. You may want to review chapters 7 and 17-20 in The Happiness Trap prior to writing this section. Feel free to cite the text.
3. What lesson(s) will you take from this stretch that you can apply to your life?
Grading: This stretch application will be graded based on the following rubric:
Struggling Developing Achieving
• Does not indicate which stretch was chosen.
• Provides a limited or confusing description of the experience of engaging in that stretch.
• Clearly indicates which stretch was chosen.
• Provides a description of the experience of engaging in that stretch but lacks detail or depth in explanation.
• Clearly indicates which stretch was chosen.
• Provides a detailed, in-depth description of the experience of engaging in that stretch.
• Does not show understanding of present moment connection.
• Provides a confusing or incorrect description of the relationship between mindfulness and stretch experience.
• Shows some understanding of present moment connection, but misses important aspects or details of the concept.
• Provides a description of the relationship between mindfulness and stretch experience, but lacks detail or depth in explanation.
• Shows clear understanding of present moment connection
• Provides a detailed, in-depth description of the relationship between mindfulness and stretch experience.
• Describes the lesson(s) of the stretch experience in a limited or confusing explanation.
• Describes the lesson(s) of the stretch experience, including how the experience can be applied to future experiences, but lacks detail or depth in explanation.
• Clearly and accurately describes the lesson(s) of the stretch experience, including how the experience can be applied to future experiences.