Sensory Memory Iconic
Chapter 7 Text Assignment
Please type your name at the top of the document. Please type your answers in Red and save your completed document on your computer. Then, submit the completed assignment as per the instructions outlined on Blackboard.
1. Construct an essay describing how the Information Processing Three Stage Memory Model explains how you are able to hear a lecture in class, process the information, and retain it in your memory, and then access the information for an exam. You must include each of the following terms in your essay:
Sensory Memory Iconic Memory Echoic Memory
Selective Attention Encoding Decay
Duration Capacity Short Term Memory
Working Memory Visual Spatial Sketchpad Central Executive
Phonological Loop Maintenance Rehearsal Elaborative Rehearsal
Consolidation Long Term Memory Implicit Memory
Declarative Memory Nondeclarative Memory Explicit Memory
Autobiographical Memory Procedural Memory Semantic Memory
Classical Conditioned Memory Priming Memory Episodic Memory
Retrieval Retrieval Cues Specific Cues
General Cues Recognition Recall
State Dependent Retrieval Encoding Specificity Mood Congruence
Please underline and bold each key term. Also please note that many of these terms are on the exam in an applied context. Therefore, you need to know the meaning and application of each of the terms, and the duration and capacity of each memory stage.
2. What biological factors influence your memory function?
3. What is chunking, which specific memory can it help?
4. How can the deeper level processing theory help you become a better student?
5. What is a flashbulb memory, and how does it apply to your life?
6. Explain the difference between anterograde and retrograde amnesia, and provide an example of each.
7. What are some of the main events and ages associated with higher risks of memory loss?
8. Describe Alzheimer’s Disease including the symptoms, risk factors, and biological mechanisms involved.
9. Explain Decay Theory.
10. Based on Interference theory, what is the difference between proactive and retroactive interference?
11. Explain how you personally apply massed practice and distributed practice as a student. Which approach is better supported by the research?
12. What have you learned about false memories?