primary movements in psychology
Write a paper (2,250-2,500 words) that demonstrates your understanding of the primary movements in psychology – psychoanalysis, behaviorism, and humanistic, transpersonal, and existential psychology (HTE). Your paper should provide a historical perspective for each of the movements, showcase your understanding of the key components of each, and suggest a synthesis and application of the theories. Include the following in your paper:
- An overall historical context of all three movements. (Benchmarks C.1.1: Discuss the history and development of the theories of Psychoanalysis, Behaviorism, and Humanistic/Transpersonal/Existential (HTE) Psychology)
- A rationale for why each movement is/was considered essential to understanding human behavior and experiences.
- An analysis of psychoanalysis/psychodynamic theory. What were the primary tenets and perspectives of the theories? Who were the key theorists? How did their work lead them to new ideas including Neo-Freudianism?
- An analysis of behaviorism. What were the theoretical underpinnings of the movement? What were the primary tenets and concepts of the movement? Why were these tenets and concepts important? Who were the key theorists?
- An analysis of humanistic, transpersonal, and existential psychology (HTE). From what cultural and historical contexts did the movement emerge? What were the primary tenets and concepts of the movement? Why were these tenets and concepts important? How do these tenets and concepts differ across the movement? Who were the key theorists?
- A synthesis of these movements. How did these movements enhance the understanding of human behavior, growth, and potential? (Benchmarks C.1.2: Synthesize the theories of Psychoanalysis, Behaviorism, and HTE Psychology)
- An evaluation of the applications of the theories that were the basis for each of these movements. To what extent has the application of these theories enhanced treatments in mental health and the helping professions? (Benchmarks C.1.3: Evaluate the common applications of Psychoanalysis, Behaviorism, and HTE Psychology)
- A statement of next steps. What comes next in the development of psychological approaches to understanding human behavior and experience