Chapter 3 Text Assignment
Please type your name at the top of the document. Please type your answers in Red and save your completed document on your computer. Then, submit the completed assignment as per the instructions outlined on Blackboard.
1. Describe the each of the three areas of psychology that relate to biology including behavioral genetics, evolutionary psychology, and neuroscience.
2. What is the difference between monozygotic and dizygotic twins and how are twin studies important to psychology?
3. With regard to genetics, explain the role and relative quantity of chromosomes and DNA in psychology?
4. What is the difference between recessive and dominant traits?
5. What is the difference between genotypes and phenotypes?
6. Describe the two types of cells found in the nervous system, and their respective functions.
7. For the following neuron diagram, label each of its parts and describe their function:
8. What is a neurotransmitter and how is it related to behavior or mental processes?
9. What are the main neurotransmitters and their relative functions?
10. Summarize the process of action potential that takes place within a neuron. Be sure to include key terms including polarization, depolarization, and repolarization, resting potential, action potential, and spreading of action potential.
11. Summarize the process of synaptotransmission, or communication between neurons?
12. What is the difference between an agonist drug and antagonist drug?
13. What role does the endocrine system play in psychology?
14. Outline the branches and sub-branches of the nervous system and the general functions of each.
15. Explain the structures contained within the following brain regions and their relative functions:
16. Compare and contrast the four brain lobes being sure to note each of their main functions.
17. Compare the two hemispheres of the brain and their different functions.
18. Define the following terms:
neuroplasticity neurogenesis stem cells
Reflexes corpus callosum Lateralization
Localization cerebral cortex Broca’s Area