University of Phoenix Material
Week 4 Review Worksheet
Complete the following table.
|Theorists||Main tenets of theory||Unique contributions||Limitations|
|Freud||Stressed the importance of early childhood events, the influence of the unconscious and sexual instincts in the development and formation of personality.
||His subjects were mostly Viennese upperclass women, a considerably small portion of human society. The data he collected to support his theories would have alarge margin of error. The Victorian ethics and general European attitude distorted his views on psychology and the human kind.|
|Jung||Focused on concepts such as the collective unconscious, archetypes and psychological types
|Adler||Believed the core motive behind personality involves striving for superiority, or the desire to overcome challenges and move on
Match the example with the appropriate defense mechanism.
1. __H___A woman is involved in a car accident that left her paralyzed from the waist down, but she cannot remember any details of the accident.
2. __G___Taking a test makes me nervous, so I bite my nails.
3. _A____My boss yelled at me at work today and it made me very upset. I went home and ended up yelling at my spouse that night.
4. _F____Even though I drink alcohol every day, I am not an alcoholic.
5. _E____I hate Alex, but I am overly nice and friendly when interacting with him at work.
6. __B___I broke up with my boyfriend, but I am fine with it because he was a loser anyway.
7. __C___I am convinced that my husband is cheating on me, even though I am the one who frequently thinks about cheating on him.
8. _D____I am very frustrated at work and just want to scream, but instead I go to the gym and work out my frustration on the treadmill.
- Reaction Formation
Psychosexual Stages of Development
Fill in the appropriate psychosexual stage for the following descriptions.
1. The ______ stage focuses on mature sexual relationships.
2. A 3rd grader still sucks their thumb. They may have a(n) _______ fixation.
3. An adult who exhibits a lack of self-discipline and messiness may have struggled with toilet training. This person may have experienced difficulty in the ________ stage.
4. A child tends to prefer the parent of the opposite sex and views the same-sex parent as a threat. This conflict occurs in the _______ stage
5. Children tend to focus on peer relationships with same-sex friends and other nonsexual activities. This behavior occurs in the _______ stage.
Stress and Coping
Consider the following scenario:
You have unexpectedly lost your job due to layoffs at your company. You are the sole provider of income for your family. You are worried about how you will pay your bills and support your family during this time.
Write 150 to 200 words describing how stress can affect you physically and mentally, and which coping strategies you may use to work through this situation.
Describe three effective stress-management techniques.
Write 150 to 200 wordsdescribing the main aspects of personality testing.