Addressing a Patient Safety Error
Imagine that you are a patient safety officer at your local hospital. You have identified that an error has occurred that will compromise patient safety. For this assignment, prepare a 3-5 page paper for organizational leadership in which you outline the importance of addressing this error, as well as steps you will employ to do so. If you would like, you can use the same error you addressed in your first discussion in this unit.
In your paper:
- Explain the health care safety imperative.
- Describe three common best practices, tools, or techniques that your plan uses to reduce the threat to patient safety (for example, process for responding, processes for detecting, et cetera).
- Analyze the roles regulatory agencies play within your organization related to patient safety (for example, the Joint Commission’s National Patient Safety Goals) and your patient safety plan.
- Identify the recurring error in your hospital that poses a potential threat to patient safety.
- Evaluate the implications for the organization if the error is not addressed.
- Analyze how the role of patient safety officer impacts effective application of the patient safety plan.
- Explain what your responsibility is as a patient safety officer.
- Describe your role as the patient safety officer in this particular matter.
- Provide one example from the literature to illustrate your point.
- Explain how you would apply operational considerations and best practices to identify and work toward eliminating or reducing the particular error you have identified.
Support your findings with at least two peer-reviewed sources. You may use the resources listed in the study materials for this unit.
- Your paper will be a minimum of 3-5 double-spaced pages in length, not including title and reference pages.
- Font: Arial 12-point.
- Cite at least two references.
- Format your paper according to APA style.
- Submit a draft of your assignment to Turnitin. Using the Turnitin results, edit and finalize your assignment, and then upload it to the assignment area. Note: When you submit an assignment to Turnitin, it is not also submitted to the courseroom. You must do this separately.
To fully understand how this assignment will be graded, be sure to carefully read the Addressing a Patient Safety Error Scoring Guide.